Download a zipfile of this book
Best for printing out or reading offline. Alternatively, you can click through the pages online, printing them off as you go.
For permission to use copyright material, the author gratefully makes the following acknowledgements:
- Faber & Faber Ltd. for permission to quote from T.S. Eliot's "Little Gidding" and "East Coker".
- Oxford University Press, for permission to quote a passage from Christopher Fry's "A Sleep of Prisoners" and also D. H. Lawrence's poem "A song of a Man who has Come Through", the sonnet "Bodily Extension" by J. C. Earle and the poem "Eros Absconditus" by David Gascoyne.
- The Estate of Robert Frost for permission to quote Robert Frost's poem "Trial by Existence".
- Findhorn Press for permission to quote from Anthony Brooke's essay "The Awakening of Man" and also from David Spangler's "Revelation the Birth of a New Age".
- E. P. Dutton & Co. Inc. for a passage from R. M. Bucke's "Cosmic Consciousness".
- Aurobindo Press, Pondicherry, for a passage from Sri Aurobindo's "The Future belongs to the Young" published in the journal "I".
- William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. for a quotation from Teilhard de Chardin's "Hymn of the Universe".
- Geoffrey Chapman Ltd. for a quotation from Teilhard de Chardin in "Building the Earth".
- Dr. E. F. Schumacher for a short passage from his book "Small is Beautiful".
- Allen & Unwin Ltd for permission to quote a passage from Bertrand Russell.
In a work of this nature, necessarily dependent upon material derived from numerous sources, it is often difficult to ascertain whether or not particular information is in copyright. If we have unwittingly infringed copyright in any way, we tender our sincere apologies and will be glad of the opportunity, upon being satisfied as to the owner's title, to make appropriate acknowledgement in future editions.
© Copyright Sir George Trevelyan and estate, 1977 and 2001. This book may be downloaded and printed on paper in single copies for personal use and study only, in a spirit of fair play and without financial transaction. .